This is one of my all time favorite recipes! Let's face it, when you are entertaining, burgers are the easiest because you don't have to have a fancy vegetable and potato or rice to go with it. You can throw out a fruit bowl or salad and some chips to compliment the burger and you are good to go! I'm all in to entertain if I can keep it casual!
The salmon burger is awesome because you get your healthy omega 3 fatty acids that are so crucial for our bodies! Did you know we don't make omega 3's on our own? Besides the health benefits, a salmon patty is a nice diversion from the traditional burger and brat!
There will be critics that say, "why would you ruin a perfectly beautiful cut of salmon and turn it into a burger?" I say, why not? The mixture of ingredients is really nice—no fishy taste at all!
Go ahead and get creative with your toppings. We were serving guac for an appetizer and I ended up putting it on the salmon and it was totally delish! Below is the recipe. I would double it so you have leftovers!
Makes 4-6 servings
1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 shallots, chopped
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 Tablespoons capers, drained
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Cut salmon into chunks and put 1/4th of it into food processor, along with mustard. Blend until mixture becomes paste-like.
2. Add shallots and the remaining salmon. Pulse machine on and off until the fish is chopped and combined with puree. Be careful not blend the mixture too fine.
3. Scrape the mixture into a bowl, and by hand, stir in the bread crumbs, capers and some salt and pepper. Shape into 4-6 burgers.
4. Grill on medium high heat, 4 minutes on the first side, allowing them to firm up before turning. Flip them and finish patties for just 1 or 2 minutes on the second side. Be careful not to overcook. You could sauté them if you rather.
5. Serve on a bed of greens or buns with lemon wedges and tobacco sauce or another favorite dressing. Add condiments to your liking.
(Modified from cooking.nytimes.com)
Are you interested in fine tuning your meal planning (among other things), finding more energy, toning up and shedding a few pounds? I would love to give you 30 minutes of my time. Check out my free discovery session here!